Healthy Whole Wheat Cheese Crackers RecipeRecipe By Megan Gordon: 5-8 dozen crackers (depending on size cut) These delicious and nutritious snack crackers have only a handful of ingredients, and bake up quickly. Because homemade crackers don’t have preservatives like store bought crackers, they’re really best enjoyed within three days of baking:
7 ounces grated cheddar cheese, about 1-½ cups
5 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter, cubed
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax meal
1-4 tablespoons ice water
- Mix cheddar, butter, and salt in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or pulse the ingredients in a food processor) and beat until soft and combined. Add the flour and flax meal and beat until dry and pebbly.
- Add water slowly, starting with just 1 tablespoon, until dough just starts to come together in one ball (depending on the type of flour you’re using and the coarseness of flax meal, you may need just 1 tablespoon or you may need all 4).
- Gently gather together the dough and press into a round, chubby disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces, rolling each out into a thin rectangle (shoot for less than 1/8 – inch if you can – these puff up a bit as they cook). Trim away any ragged edges so you’re working with straight edges. Set trimmings aside.
- Using a fluted pastry wheel or knife, slice the dough into 1-inch squares and place on baking sheets, leaving about 1/4-inch between each cracker (they don’t spread much). Use a fork to poke a few holes in the tops of each. Gather together any scraps and re-roll and cut as needed.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly puffed on the tops and golden brown around the edges. At halfway through the bake time, rotate the pans to help with even baking. These crackers continue to firm up as they cool, so be careful not to over bake. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.