Electric coffee makers produce well-rounded, easy-drinking drip coffee. It’s the meet-me-in-the-middle of methods for a better coffee experience at home. Our brand-new electric coffee maker, the OXO Brew 8-Cup Coffee Maker, is versatile, letting you brew a single cup or a full carafe. Plus, the Coffee Maker is one of a select group of certified home brewers (including our 9-cup Coffee Maker) recognized by the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) for meeting their rigorous standards, including proper water temperature, brewing time and ability to brew within the SCA Golden Cup requirements.
Just like with any brewing method, we recommend starting with fresh, whole beans that you grind at home with a conical burr coffee grinder. For drip coffee, grind beans into a medium-coarse grind (from 6-10 setting on the OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder).
We recommend using approximately eight grams of medium-ground coffee per cup (5 fl oz). We base our recommendations on the SCA Golden Cup Standard designed for optimal extraction and strength. 1 OXO scoop = approximately 8 grams of medium-ground coffee.
How to brew drip coffee into the carafe with the OXO Brew 8-Cup Coffee Maker:
1. Adjust Mug/Carafe Mode Switch Using carafe mode activates the drip-free valve to brew up to eight cups directly into the carafe. Make sure the switch is pushed all the way to the right for carafe mode.
2. Snap in Brew Basket Make sure the basket is securely in place with the handle down, then add a large paper filter and freshly ground coffee.
3. Add Filtered Water to Water Tank Fill the tank to the number of cups you’d like to brew. This Coffee Maker uses all of the water you put in the tank for every brew cycle. Always fill between the MIN and MAX fill lines.
4. Press Power then select the 5-8 Cup Brew Button to Start Brewing When brewing is complete, the Coffee Maker will chime and brew button light will turn off. The power light will remain on for 15 minutes.
How to brew single servings into your cup with the OXO Brew 8-Cup Coffee Maker:
1. Adjust Mug/Carafe Switch to Mug Mode Mug mode opens the drip valve to brew into any mug or travel tumbler. Slide the brew switch all the way to the left for mug mode.
2. Snap in Brew Basket Make sure the brew basket is securely in place with the handle down, then add a large paper filter and ground coffee.
3. Add Filtered Water to Water Tank When brewing into a mug, never fill above 4 cups (20 fl oz). Only use as much water as your cup or mug can hold. The Coffee Maker will use all water in the tank every time you brew.
Tip: Use your mug to measure the perfect amount of water.
4. Place Mug Under Brew Basket Turn over well cover to elevate the mug and prevent splashing. You can also remove the well cover to make room for taller mugs or travel mugs.
5. Press Power, then 2-4 Cup Brew Button to Start Brewing When brewing is complete, the Coffee Maker will chime and brew button light will turn off. Power light will remain on for 15 minutes.
Tip: To keep the base clean and drip-free, slide the Mug/Carafe switch to Carafe Mode after you brew.
Optional: Use the Single-Serve Accessory to optimize flavor when brewing 2-4 cups.
- Insert wave filter (Kalita 185) and coffee grounds into the single-serve accessory.
- Place the single-serve accessory directly into the larger brew basket. Snap brew basket into place.
- Add 2-4 cups of filtered water to the water tank and press the 2-4 cup button to start brewing.
For more information about the 8-Cup Coffee Maker, including cleaning, care and storage, check out the full instruction manual.