About Grind Size
Grind size is key to controlling flavor extraction and coffee strength. The finer your coffee grounds, the easier it is for the water to extract flavors because the water soaks into smaller pieces much faster than larger ones. This is why fast-brewing methods like espresso call for a much finer grind size than those that need to steep slowly for the best flavor, like pour-over or French Press. Where an espresso grind should feel like fine table salt, a French press should be closer to coarse Kosher salt, and automatic drip machines, somewhere in the middle.
Follow these steps for using the OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder:
1. Remove the lid from hopper and fill with whole, roasted beans. Replace lid.
2. Hold the hopper and slowly rotate to adjust the grind size setting.
- 1-5= fine (for espresso)
- 6-10=medium (for pour-over/drip coffee)
- 11-15=coarse (for French press/cold brew)
3. Plug into outlet and slide the grounds container onto base. Make sure it clicks.
4. Turn dial to set timer to desired grinding time, from 0-30 seconds. When first using the grinder, start with 10 seconds and weigh or measure the amount of grounds you get.
5. Push the OXO button to start the Grinder.
For more information about the Conical Burr Coffee Grinder, including cleaning, care and storage, check out the full instruction manual.