Ice Cream Cone PiesMakes one 9 inch pie (8 servings): Time: 20 minutes
12 sugar cones
6 tablespoons butter, melted
¼ cup light brown sugar
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons coconut oil or vegetable shortening
3 pints softened vanilla ice cream
1/2 cups chopped peanuts or almonds
- Break one of the cones up into bite size chips, and set aside. Crush the rest of the cones in a bag with a rolling pin or in a food processor so they become crumbs. Pour in the melted butter and sugar and mix or pulse until the crumbs are completely saturated with butter.
- Press the crumbs into the base of a 9-inch pie plate, creating a thicker layer at the bottom and going part way up the sides of the dish. Pop into the freezer for 10 minutes to set.
- While the crust chills, put the chocolate chips, coconut oil or shortening, vanilla extract, and salt in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until completely melted. Drizzle half of the chocolate into the cone crust in ribbons. Scoop in the ice cream and spread it to a basically even layer then add swoops and peaks to the surface.
- Arrange the big cone chips around the outer edge of the pie. Drizzle the remaining chocolate in a ring. Sprinkle the crushed almonds around the rim, leaving the ice cream visible in the center.
- Let the chocolate harden for at least 3 minutes, or cover and chill to set for 30 minutes to several days. To serve, allow to soften for a few minutes so a knife can cut through the crust, slice into wedges and serve.