If you're looking for a seamless transition into baking with your kids, delicious banana muffins are the way to go. But there are other positives with this recipe beyond the joys of cooking with your children. When whipping up foods using muffin tins, it's incredibly easy to make many batches and store for later occasions. Plus, you can improvise as you go: If you don't have regular flour or want a healthier option, use all whole-wheat; leave out the walnuts; or use all brown sugar instead of white sugar.
Now that you're ready to get started, grab your muffin pan(Opens in a new window) and mitts and enjoy a fun afternoon with your little one. Read on for our banana muffins recipe and step-by-step instructions, adapted from Mark Bittman’s Banana Bread(Opens in a new window).
- 8 tbs (1 stick) butter, plus some for greasing the pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and ½ cup whole wheat flour OR 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork until smooth
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan(Opens in a new window) or muffin pan(Opens in a new window).
- Mix together the dry ingredients. With a hand mixer or a whisk(Opens in a new window), cream the butter (or just microwave it and call it a day) and beat in the eggs and bananas. Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients; stir just enough to combine. It’s OK if there are lumps. Gently stir in the vanilla and shredded coconut.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan (or muffin pan) and bake for 45 to 60 minutes (25 to 35 minutes if you’re making muffins), until nicely browned. A toothpick inserted into the center of the bread will come out fairly clean when it is done, but because of the bananas, this bread will remain moister than most. Do not overcook. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
Have extra bananas? Check out our favorite two-ingredient banana pancakes recipe and adorable chocolate banana pops recipe.