Mayonnaise can be whipped up with hand blender, but for a slightly saucier, lighter version, we like to do it the old-fashioned way: with a whisk. We’ll warn you upfront that this method takes longer, but the balloon whisk’s teardrop-shaped handle fits comfortably in the palm of your hand for fatigue-free mixing and silky smooth results. Recipe adapted from Serious Eats
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup vegetable or canola oil
1. Add egg, mustard, lemon juice and garlic to a bowl. Use a mixing bowl with a non-slip base so it stays stable while you’re whisking.
2. Whisk ingredients together and season with salt.
3. While whisking, start to add oil, one drop at a time. Use a squeeze bottle to control the flow of the oil.
4. Once about ¼ of a cup is added, start pouring a steady stream of oil while continuing to whisk with your other hand.
5. When all of the oil is added, the results should be a pale yellow sauce.