Asparagus, T-Bone Steak Sheet-Pan DinnerRecipe courtesy Heather Ramsdell: Serves 2 to 4
One 1-pound bunch asparagus
Kosher salt and black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
1 pound T-bone steak about 1 ¼ inches thick
1 small clove garlic
2 scallions, white parts minced, green parts thinly sliced
10 ounces cremini and/or shiitake mushrooms with their stems removed
Crusty bread or steamed rice for serving
- Preheat broiler with a rack 6 inches from the heating element and another rack in the middle of the oven.
- Peel the bottom 2 inches of asparagus stalks. Cut or snap about ½ inch off the woody ends. Put the asparagus in a single layer on the right half of the sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt, drizzle with oil and turn with tongs to coat with oil.
- Shave 6 paper-thin slices of lemon. Quarter the slices and scatter them on the asparagus.
- Season the steak liberally on the top, bottom and sides with big pinches of salt, grindings of black pepper, and enough olive oil to coat. Put the steak on the pan.
- Grate a clove of garlic into a small bowl. Stir in 1/4 cup of the olive oil, the scallion white and the juice from the remaining half lemon. Spoon most of the garlic and some of the oil and lemon juice over the mushrooms to coat them. Save the rest of the lemon oil for serving. Season the mushrooms with salt. Put them on the pan in a single layer.
- Slide the pan under the broiler with the steak centered under the heating element.
- Broil until the top of the steak is brown and crusty and the temperature in the center of the steak reads 115 degrees for medium rare, 7 to 8 minutes. Do not flip the steak. Take the pan from the oven and transfer the steak to a cutting board, letting it rest while the other vegetables finish cooking. Turn the asparagus and stir the mushrooms with tongs. Return the pan to lower rack in the oven. Continue to cook until the asparagus is tender and browned in spots and the mushrooms are fragrant and juicy, about 5 more minutes.
- Slice the steak. Sprinkle the mushrooms with the scallion greens and serve with asparagus, bread or rice, and the remaining lemony oil on the side.
- Note: If your broiler is separate from your oven, preheat oven to 400 when you heat the broiler, and cook the asparagus and mushroom in there when you are done cooking the steak.