Lemony Paprika Chicken and Potatoes
with a Caper Chimi
OXO Chef in Residence
For Eden, “the simpler the better” for the holidays. That’s why she is making a sheet tray dinner that’s elevated—easy to put together and packed with flavor. Growing up, Eden remembers always having a paprika chicken dish on the table. Her version of paprika chicken captures that homey, comforting feeling too, plus leaves you with time to actually enjoy the holiday with family and friends. It’s not overly complicated and guests will surely be double dipping, laughing and having the best time, just how the holidays should be.
Lemony Paprika Chicken
- 6 chicken legs- bone in skin on
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons- 1 sliced into thick pieces and the other one juiced
- 1 head plus 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt, plus more for potatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more for potatoes
- 10 medium Yukon gold potato
- 3 shallots - sliced in half lengthwise
- Sea salt to finish
- Step 1
Pre-heat to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Step 2
In a bowl combine 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, sweet paprika, smoked paprika, cumin, turmeric, juice of 1 lemon, 4 cloves of grated garlic and the chicken legs. Mix really well and let marinate for at least an hour.
- Step 3
Fill a large pot with water and season generously with salt. Add in the potatoes and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes and remove when a knife slides in easily.
- Step 4
Strain into a colander and let steam dry.
- Step 5
When cool enough to handle slice the smaller ones in half and the larger ones into thirds. Place in a large roasting tray and add in the sliced shallots, head of garlic (slice in half or break into individual cloves) and sliced lemon. Drizzle with the 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and season generously with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Step 6
Toss it all together and then lay the marinated chicken legs on top with the skin side up.
Place into the pre-heated oven and let roast for 45 minutes to an hour until crispy.
Remove from the oven and place on a serving platter. Serve with chimichurri.
- 1/4 cup capers, drained and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic grated
- Kosher salt to taste
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Step 1
In a bowl place the finely chopped cilantro, chopped capers, grated garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix together and check for seasoning.