Fideos con Pollo
(Seared Chicken Thighs with Fideo Pasta) Recipe
OXO Chef in Residence
Say goodbye to boring and dry chicken and pasta. OXO Chef in Residence Rick Martinez’s Fideo con Pollo pairs seared chicken thighs cooked in flavorful broth with fideos, a vermicelli-like short noodle, that is first toasted in the pan. All topped off with fresh cilantro, queso fresco, and a dash of fresh lime, it makes the perfect cozy dinner for a family night in.
- 8 ounces fideo, vermicelli, or angel hair pasta broken into 2-inch pieces
- 4 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 medium chile poblano, chopped
- 3 chile serrano, stemmed and chopped (seeded for mild)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes, cored and chopped or 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 ¼ cups homemade chicken stock or low sodium chicken broth
- For Serving: cilantro leaves and tender stems, crumbled queso fresco and lime wedges
- Step 1
Heat large skillet on high for 2 minutes and toast fideo, tossing constantly until most of the pasta is browned, 6-8 minutes; transfer to a heat-proof, medium bowl until ready to use.
- Step 2
Generously season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in same skillet and cook chicken until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Step 3
Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and reduce to heat to medium. Cook onion, poblano, serrano, garlic, coriander and cumin, scraping up any browned bits from pan, until tender, 6-8 minutes; season with 1 tablespoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Add tomato, stock and bring to a boil; taste the broth, it should be salty like the sea, if not, add another ½ teaspoon salt.
- Step 4
Stir in fideo and nestle in chicken thighs; cover, reduce to low and cook until the chicken is cooked through and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15-20 minutes.
- Step 5
Serve fideo and chicken topped with cilantro, queso fresco and a squeeze of lime.